Saturday, March 16, 2013

 Spring continues to arrive in small steps

I got out for a couple of bike rides this week and it was great to see the blossoms and leaves starting to spring forth.  Then on Saturday we had a nasty dust storm ... windy and Gobi Desert sand blowing in your eyes, nose, throat ... everyone was wearing a mask or covering their face the best they could.  We had one other sand storm but it was at night so this was my first "apocalyptic" experience and it wasn't fun.  We are hoping for rain to clear the air.

Xi'an City wall  during sand storm

Here are a couple of early spring pictures from the day I took my bike ride.



Love the fishing pole!








During the semester vacation I had the opportunity to travel in Vietnam and Cambodia.  I enjoyed both countries greatly.  I was surprised by the French influence in Vietnam ... both the architecture and foods were especially noticeable.  I was also curious how the people would perceive Americans but they were very welcoming and friendly.  Visiting some of the war sights was interesting and the vets in the group shared some unique perspectives.  It was hot ...  especially in Cambodia and we often wore these hats, compliments of our tour guide.  I hope you enjoy a few pictures from Vietnam.  Next week I'll try to get some of my Cambodia pictures organized.

Exploring the Mekong Delta 


Wiring does not meet safety code!
Fresh fruit outside our hotel each morning in Hanoi

motorcycles were everywhere ... 100 Xs more than in China ... notice the little child's seat in front.
Ox (water buffalo) stuck in the mire?
rice planting




Children came onto our boat selling fruit ... the bananas were delicious.
Halong Bay was beautiful even though we had a misty day
Life on a boat

Which way do we go??



Delicious foods and fun presentations!



The guns were too loud but I did hit the target .... once
The Cuchi tunnels were creepy and I was claustrophobic so exited as soon as I could
My sister dropping down into Cuchi tunnel
                         


Saigon Central Post Office ... fun phone booths
Notre-Dame Basilica in Ho Chi Minh City
Dinner Cruise on the Saigon River
Our boat looked like a big fish when it was lit up 
Ho Chi Minh City Hall
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum 




1 comment:

  1. No bike riding in Minnesota yet, Dr. Thompson! Our first day of spring was the coldest it has been in over 40 years!
    Your beautiful photos give me hope for warmth and new life.
    Enjoy each day...

    ReplyDelete