Sunday, December 16, 2012

Greetings from my "easy chair."   It's very grey and overcast today ... a little mist but no rain or snow.

It's actually nice to sit and chat with you this afternoon because this was a week of some surprises and challenges.  I was greatly saddened by the school shootings in Connecticut and have two friends here in Xi'an who both taught in Connecticut and know people in that community.  Needless to say they were frantically trying to connect with friends and family.  The grief of that tragedy was on top of a school stabbing of many students here in China a couple of days earlier.

On Saturday afternoon a friend who lives across the hall and I were leaving our apartment building to run some errands and she missed the last step and broke her foot. (the stairwells are dark and we've both commented on how careful we need to be)  Fortunately her husband was home and between the two of us got her up three flights of stairs.  I went in search of an ice pack with minimal success... came back with a bag of frozen peas and a hot water bottle that I filled and put in the freezer.  Going for an x-ray was another adventure.  After walking several blocks and waiting for 30 minutes for a cab in the cold without luck she had to go back up three flights to the apartment while another friend continued to try and get a cab.  They finally got a cab to the hospital and then after seeing the doctor, had to walk another block to the building where they took the x-ray.  The long and short of it is a nasty sprained ankle and a broken bone on the top of her foot.  Not easy when you have to walk everywhere and no elevators in our building.  The hospital didn't have crutches so we are still trying to find some or better yet, a scooter.

Monday is my last day of class for this semester.  Wow the time has gone by quickly!  We got our final exam schedule on Friday and I had a few moments of panic because my finals were scheduled while I was going to be out of town.  I had been given earlier dates so booked a flight to go on a tour with a group starting January 16.  The good news - they re-schedule the exams ... not so good news ... they scheduled them outside of the testing weeks while I had planned to be in Northeast China for a winter festival.  I'll have to cancel my trip because I can't reschedule again.  Hopefully I'll get some of the trip refunded.  Planning is not a strength of any of the universities here which is probably one of the biggest challenges for those of us who are use to living by a schedule.  I still don't know my schedule for next semester and students don't even know what classes they will have.  Oh well.  :-)

On Friday, the 21st, I've invited students to my apartment for a little "American" Christmas party.  I am going to try making sugar cookies.  I don't have an oven so will go to a friend's home to bake.  I did make some brownies in the rice cooker last week... a little burned on the bottom but that's because I forgot about them and left them in the rice cooker for about 6 hours,  :-)  The rice cooker automatically turned off but because I didn't remove them right away, condensation developed on the lid as the cooker cooled causing it to "rain" on the brownies.  Hoping to salvage the brownies,  I turned the rice cooker on again hoping to "re-cook" the rain soaked portion which was a success for the top half but also resulted in burning the bottom half.  Have I mentioned that each day brings a new adventure??

My "small world" experience this week was going to dinner Wednesday night with a family that lived in Minnesota for a couple of years.  Their son never attended Plymouth Creek but they have friends at PC ... what fun. :-)  We had a delightful evening talking about Minnesota and China.  They both also teach at the same university where I am but in different departments.  I plan to visit the elementary school where their son attends on Tuesday.  It is the school associated with the university so is close.

Seeing all the cute dogs around town makes me lonesome for my sister's dog because I loved going for walks and playing with him.  I've tried talking to him when I "face time" with my sister but so far he hasn't figured out how to utilize this wonderful technology and runs away when the ipad gets too close.  I hope you Minnesotans have all "dug out" from the big snow you had and are cozy and warm and enjoying the holiday season.




Shadow and my sister getting ready for Christmas
Shadow hoping for a treat --- I'm sure he misses me because I was usually good for at least one treat.
Xi'an city wall at night when walking home from city center market






school girls determined to get their picture taken
3 new power points have been added to the home page under "Info about Xi'an" on Shenzhen, A Bite of China (foods), and Traveling Around China.  These were all done by students in my oral class and they wanted to share with you.  I hope you enjoy them.

Mailing Address
Karla Thompson
School of Foreign Studies
Xi'an Jiaotong University
No 28 Xianning West Road Xi'an
Shaanxi Province
P.R. China 710049

1 comment:

  1. I love the creativity you showed in making the brownies. I am sure your next batch will be more successful! :)

    ReplyDelete