Sunday, December 9, 2012

I'm listening to Christmas music and enjoying my little tree as I write this week's update.  The only "really insane" thing I did this week was agree to sing a duet in church next Sunday.  I like singing but I'm more of a choir girl ... the bigger the group the better.  Oh well, the gal I'll sing with has a beautiful voice so I'll just try not to cause too much damage.

My big discovery this week was a Dunkin' Donuts ... a friend and I shared a chocolate with nuts but it wasn't quite the same taste as I remembered.  It's interesting how products have all been adapted for the local taste buds.  Even when you find an American product, it never tastes quite the same.  I guess they do taste testing and market analysis even in China. :-)


Everyone is busy with the end of the semester just around the corner.  Some classes end next week and others don't finish until December 28 with finals during the 2nd and 3rd week of January. The staff meeting was interesting this week with more discussion after the meeting than during the meeting.  The department is trying to make some changes that people aren't too happy about.  They would like to try some team teaching ... which they are defining as one person teaches a class for 8 weeks and then another person teaches the next 8 weeks.  The other "not popular" discussion was over the installation of video cameras in each of the classrooms.  This is supposedly to monitor cheating but the Chinese teachers are all calling the system "spy cameras."  They have already been installed in the rooms where we will be giving our final exams so we are to talk to our students and let them know about the cameras.

The lecture I was supposed to give last week was changed to this week so I thought I'd include a picture of the posters that are around campus.  It's always fun to hear from you but I don't always get messages posted on the blog so please use my email address:  karla.thompson@wayzata.k12.mn.us


Love the boots!
I've been collecting pictures of signs that are somewhat "lost in translation" that I thought you might enjoy.  I especially love this Sale sign - "Timed Panic Buying" - good description of a sale.

This in on a building next to where we have church and I love seeing it each week.
At the Xi'an Airport ... I agree that Xi'an is a happy and friendly city
Subway Sign




Pretty comprehensive sign :-)

















Mailing Address
Karla Thompson
School of Foreign Studies
Xi'an Jiaotong University
No 28 Xianning West Road Xi'an
Shaanxi Province
P.R. China 710049

1 comment: